DIY Needle Threaders

We’ve all had those moments we see something and think “Ooo! I could make that!” but (and I am just as guilty of this) rarely do we follow through and make said item. Instead we put it off and our original need for the item (or want) gets thrown by the wayside. I’ve done this so many times with jewelry pieces I wanted and then when I didn’t follow through I ended up with nothing and the idea was lost in the jumble of other ideas flooding into my mind.

It’s always a feeling of great accomplishment to look at something, have that thought, and actually be able to follow through. While I was shopping the other day I came across some adorable needle threaders. I reached for them, then stopped, caught up in the brilliant idea that I could engineer something myself that looked much the same. And I did! True mine are not made from plastic, but with my access to the Dallas Makerspace that could certainly change as new ideas form. I made my threaders from supplies I already owned with the exception of the beading wire. After a couple of trial pieces made with a thicker gauge wire I found what I believe to be the best one for the job.

Supplies:
1. Turbo Glue (or any other tough crafting glue)
2. Rubber Cement
3. Wire Bending Tool
4. .3mm Beading Wire
5. Thin Cardboard (another use for that recycled cardboard!)
6. Scrapbook Papers
7. Paper Punch
8. Binder Clips
9. Scissors

Step One:

With your paper punch, cut out two piece from the thin cardboard and the scrapbook paper. You should have four pieces when completed. I found it best to use a punch no smaller than a half inch wide. This helps give you something to grip when threading.

Step Two:

Using the rubber cement affix the scrapbook papers to their cardboard counter parts. One side will be cardboard and one will have your paper (see image above). Let dry fully.

Step Three:

Cut a piece of your wire off (approx 2.5 inches). You can cut longer or shorter depending on the look you are going for, but I found this size to be the best for bending easily. Beading wire is harder to form into a shape which helps when threading a needle because it will retain its shape when you pull it back through the eye, unlike thicker gauges that get smooshed.

Step Four:

Bend your piece in half and use your wire bender to crimp that end into a point.

Step Five:

About a half inch down from the fold point create two more creases so that your piece creates a triangle with overlapping ends.

Step Six:

Holding your thumb on the point where your wire crosses twist your ended around each other to form one stem.

Step Seven:

Place glue on both pieces of your punched paper, on the cardboard side (you want the pretty paper facing out) and then line up your wire piece so that the stem is in the glue and the triangle sticks out from the base of the shape.

Step Eight:

Use the binder clips to put pressure on your two halves. This till give you a tight bond and keep the wire from moving around, potentially slipping out from between the two pieces.

Once it’s fully dried you have a reusable needle threader! And a customized one to boot! Another fun notion that I can add to my sewing supplies. Do you have any “Ooo, I could make that…” projects in mind? What is holding you back from completing them? Happy crafting!

16 comments

1. Michelle says:

That’s pretty cool! I don’t know that I’ve seen needle threaders before either. ^^ If I have, I didn’t realize what they were.

2. heidi says:

wow;that was really awesome,and clear demo and pictures..I am always amazed at the generousity of bloggers and the wonderful,inspiring projects people like you provide! This is something I know I am going to make,as whenever I am looking for one,I can never find it. (these are so adorable I will always keep them close to my heart.

• Nicole says:

Sharing is a big part of what I love to do. As someone who self teaches I know how hard it can be to find out how to accomplish a goal. Sharing helps those like me who want to be able to do stuff on their own but need a starting place. :)

3. Victoria says:

Now this is coo! I am a hand sewer & sew is my BFF. She will love these too.

4. Mirabai says:

What a great idea…I just wanted to share that I use wallpaper samples from discontinued wallpaper books that I get from a local art supply store…they are free and I use them for making books, cards and other DIY projects…I also use the wallpaper samples to cover cardboard boxes to hold all my projects…

• Nicole says:

That is a fantastic idea! I might look into doing something myself with those. Do you have any pictures of projects you’ve done? I would love to see them!

5. This is great, thank you very much! I always seem to break or loose my needle threaders and this looks right up my alley (I also love that you can personalize them rather than them being so, blah).

• Nicole says:

That’s my favorite part too! I saw the ones in the stores and they were so drab or transitory that I had to try making my own.

6. Betty says:

Thank you, I was wondering how to make those, I have a few of them with beads on the end and I want to make them but did not know how. Now I know. Your tutorial was very well done, I appreciate the effort you put into this.

7. Valerie Raye says:

This looks awesome. I am forever breaking mine :) I love the fact that you can make the “handle” part what ever you like. Thanks for sharing

8. Vivian says:

Thanks for the tute!! Love it! I’ll definitely make some of these for myself AND friends!!

9. Nancy says:

I can’t wait to try this! what a great idea!!!!!! Bless you.

10. dana says:

This is such a great idea! And cute too!!
    xo Dana

11. A.R.Fitriana says:

so cool and creative,wonderful!
    Thanks for share